Monday, February 22, 2010

Gone to the Sea and Never coming Back.



I went to Washington Oaks State Beach and Mantanza Inlet beach yesterday. Temperatures at home were 74 and sunny. But it was 64 at the beach and still sunny. If the wind is high it can be chilly. But it was beautiful. Where else but Florida can you enjoy the beach in February. I try and remember this when I am sweltering in July with the air so hot and humid you just want to stick your head in the freezer. And going outdoors is not an option. But still, we are considering moving to the mountains. Best of all would to be able to keep our little place here, only sell the other house and still have a winter place.

The birds were in abundance at the beach. By the time I left I was taking huge gulps and breath's of ocean ozone. I really think
they should bottle it and put a prescription on it. I understand now why they used to take T.B. patient's to the ocean shore. The doctors told my grandfather his emphysema would be better by the ocean air. So, I walked long walks on both beaches. I took many many photographs. But I remembered never go to the beach on the weekend. Too many people. Only mar were a makeup couple at my favorite state park on the rocky ledges. I'm sorry, it's a nature state park. Can't you take your kissing somewhere else. The ocean fuels me.

The Music of the Ocean

A sucking noise, like a birth,
spitting life out upon the sand.
tiny shells creating a musical windchime
as they roll to and fro.

A moaning across the waves almost
undetectable to the ear,
a keening of bird song,
a roar in the ear,
of crashing waves,
a foam spray kissing
your face with salt
a tugging of your soul,
a song beyond your hearing
the sound peaks like a
musical crescendo
the score written in the sand.

4 comments:

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

Candy that poem is just beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. I yearn so much for the sea. I was born and raised about four miles from the North Sea, and even though it brought cold Northern winds with it, I miss it so much. The ocean and seas call my name. Living beside one of the Great Lakes helps a little, but they don't call to me in the same way. The ideal to me would be to live near the mountains and the ocean....the coast of British Columbia would be perfect. I still don't understand why I stayed in Ontario....but that's life. I hope you can get your place in the mountains and keep your little piece of Florida too!

Sparroweye said...

The Great Lakes are just like a ocean. They even have tides. I saw the one across from Niagra in Canada. It is huge. I would miss the ocean. We don't know what we will do yet. But we want change. It might be a mistake, but it will be exciting. I think we will do a big trip, look everywhere. I hope we get up to Canada.

Bobby Crow said...

loved the poem. It was like being at the ocean. You can actually hear, feel, and see it through your words!!

The beaches are an endless place of mystery and wonder when you think about it. Everyday there is something new to see, touch, and take in. You can be a child there 24/7.

Again, I will soon be walking along the atlantic and gulf shores down in the keys. I could spend all day there!

It truly is healing on many levels!

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

I wouldn't say the Great Lakes are like the ocean, more like small seas. Huron and Superior are massive and most like the sea, but still not the same. The beaches near us are sort of a dirty sand colour because they don't get washed by the tides the same way the Ocean does..the tides are small except for storms during the Winter.
It would be great if you could make it up to Canada some time in the near future. You would love Point Pelee which is the National Park only ten minutes from our house and very popular with 'Birders' (bird watchers).