Friday, February 19, 2010

Bird Watching


My Downy woodpecker is always around here somewhere. He is my standby bird. He loves the suet blocks. He has built a nest in a hollow broken dead tree trunk over my pond. His baby birds were very demanding and noisy. It was the first time I ever had a chance to watch a downy raise babies.

The only other birds I have been lucky enough to have raise babies are eastern screech owl, chick a dee, flycatcher and once a bluebird. I think I will try a downy woodpecker house by my pond because the old dead tree trunk fell apart. A great part of my joy each day is seeing a favorite bird that is rare. I wait each year for the flycatchers and parula to arrive. Yesterday I swear I heard that buzzz of the hummingbird by my viburnum which is blooming. It is way to early to hear a hummingbird. But then it has been a very strange winter, so why not?

Wherever I move to. i hope, I know there will have to be birds.

1 comment:

Bobby Crow said...

Don't you just love the curiousity and movement of a woodpecker? I could sit and watch them all day. For a long time I baited the trees with suet feeders to attract them. It was just an endless waiting game with no woodpeckers. Then out of nowhere I have 2 varieties coming on a regular basis. Amazing how the most wanted and interesting avian varities can just appear after some time when you put out the right food or seed!