Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day Lillies


The yard in my new house is full of spent daylily's.  I have no idea if I am supposed to cut off the dead stalks.  Or wait until Fall.  There are two many to dig up.   I am sure they have not been divided in at least two years because no one has lived here for two years.  (I think)  The husband of this house was the gardener.  His wife did not garden.  I can feel his ghost here.  Because he was elderly and has passed on. We are having the well drilled deeper as it is going dry or has become what they call,  a low yield well. And to do that they will have to cut down the river birch at the corner of the garage.  They can't get their drilling rig in here with the tree in the way.  Makes me sad. It is a beautiful river birch.  My husband does not even seem to care.  He said, Its just a river birch.  They aren't that good a tree, are they?  Sad.  All tree's are good.  Tiny seems a bit better than he was in Florida. But he gets more itching when it gets hot. Luckily summer seems to be over up here.  We have not had to run air conditioning in days and days.  Here are my dead day lilys.

4 comments:

DBFrank said...

I'm going to guess your day lilies are like my corn lilies. The stalks will get very dry after a bit, and then you can just pull them off. I generally wait a week or so.
Sorry to hear about the birch. I love trees - they connect us to nature.
Glad your pup is doing better.
Very happy you found a place (okay, and a bit jealous!).

Sparroweye said...

DB you will find your place. There is a brand new elementary school opening up right next to me next summer. It is a buyers market right now. Harder to sell a place. We have two homes up for sale in Florida. It sounds like you have some land up in NY. We paid 140,000 for this place with almost two acres. We really wanted a farm but just could not find the right place. Some were too old, some had not enough land. This place was a compromise. I miss my kids though.

Charlotte Holmes said...

River birches are lovely trees. Fortunately, they're plentiful, and they grow quickly, so after the well is dug, perhaps you can find one at the local garden center and replant. In the mean time, cut this one up for firewood. Birch logs burn brightly.

Daylilies are pretty carefree. You can cut the stalks, which gives more energy to the plant to devote to the roots. As DBF says, wait until they're dry before you do this.

Tiny will love the Carolina autumn!

Sparroweye said...

I just may ask them to leave the wood. They were going to put it through the chipper. I am thinking about taking the gas logs out of our fireplace so we can burn wood. We do have a great place down along the road where we could use some river birches. I have a lovely huge river birch in my front yard in Florida. I am hoping we are getting plenty of rain in Florida as river birch cannot tolerate droughts.