Friday, August 16, 2013

Spider identification for a professional

This is a wicked spider I saw in Florida with a beetle in his grasp. At first I thought black widow. It has a sort of hour glass on belly.  I just know, I gave him healthy distance and respect.  He was a bit fascinating.  My husband wanted to kill him.  He always wants to kill spiders.  Me, never. They are good insects. they keep the bug population in check. 

3 comments:

Sparroweye said...

Actually the black shape looks like a clover. Odd black spot.

deeol said...

I'm not going to be able to help with this much, since I have almost no knowledge of Florida spiders and it's pretty hard to ID a spider by looking at the underside. It looks more like an Orb Weaver than a Black Widow or anything like that, though. Most of that (very large) group is pretty harmless to humans.

I'm seriously just guessing here.

Sparroweye said...

Thank you Deeol. I think you are right. It's an orb weaver. I looked them up. Spiders kind of fascinate me even while I am scared peeless.